Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Gravity


I'm a guy who usually has a lot to say, as my friends and family can attest. It takes a lot to shut me up. Did Gravity succeed is taking my breath away? Well it's funny: I can't think of a movie that I've ever had more to say about and less to say about at the same time.

Is Gravity good? It's mind blowing, damn near perfect. This has to be my favourite movie of the year, I can't imagine anything being better. When I say I don't have much to say, that's a good thing. I just don't have words to describe how great this was. I have no clue how a lot of this movie was shot, and that says a lot. I graduated from Television Broadcasting at a respectable college, read books on filmmaking, watched the behind the scenes features on virtually every DVD I know.... and yet the opening shot had me scratching my head. And by opening shot I mean the first 15 minutes or so. Yeah there's parts where you can see they managed to sneak different shots in there, but it's edited so well and so tightly that you can barely tell.

This was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who is probably best known for his amazing direction on Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban, which is probably the most visually striking of all the Potter films, and arguably the best movie overall. He brings his masterful direction style here. This was a new age of filmmaking, with a different style than anything I've ever seen. Again, I don't know how to describe it, but see the movie and you'll know what I mean. The actors (And by that I mean two) were great. Sandra Bullock gave probably my favourite performance of hers in any movie. She was basically an everywoman, but she was given a pretty tragic backstory. Bullock pulled this off perfectly. You feel for her and cheer for her. It's an amazing performance. As for George Clooney, well.... George is George. Yeah, he's on the most likeable actors around, and he sells his performance on that completely. You really like this guy, which was basically his characters biggest function. Both performers were perfect for their roles.

I don't know what else to say. I've been very vague, and I'll acknowledge this isn't my best review, but I have no idea how to describe it. It's an amazing movie, and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment